Ethan's "Yoda inspired" Build *Completed*

Post your ongoing mods and pics here.
Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Ethan's "Yoda inspired" Build *Completed*

Post by Tsi Talon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:46 am

After seeing Jeff's Heiland in person, my friend Shahnam asked me if i could do a Yoda saber for his 12yo son Ethan. I said "I'd love to!". Using TCSS MHS parts, it measures in at a tad over 8" which is a bit longer than the original or Hasbro Black Series FX edition. Its going to have a 24" blade because the kid is a bit on the skinny side still and i dont want to have him tip over :)

Parts list includes:
Nano Biscotte v4
Lime green/Lime green/White tri-Cree LED
Panasonic 18650 Li-Ion battery with recharge port
3D printed grips
Custom control box (couldnt find a 3D printed one to fit the MHS parts and dont want to delay this build any longer once the parts are in)
Custom chassis
28mm speaker
Custom switch

Obligatory hilt pic!

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Re: Ethan's "Yoda inspired" Build

Post by Tsi Talon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 pm

I believe most of the parts are in, so the chassis work begins next :)

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:38 am

I did a little work tonight :)

The Shapeways.com Yoda control box was not the right size, the seller never got back with me and i totally forgot about the question i posted till after i ordered it. So, ill just make one.

First step

Friction fit, just how i like it

Start of the chassis, decided to use white instead of black, but it doesnt machine quite as well

Fits very snugly, but not finished, im still waiting on the recharge port

Leaves a hair left to be able to crank down on the pommel to lock it all nice and tight, no vibrations or bouncing internals!

Tightened all the way...

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:47 pm

Its amazing the stuff you can find out when you RTFM... I was under the impression that the Pico Crumble did FoC the same way as the Nano Biscotte if you didnt take advantage of the RGB the Pico offers... I guess i was wrong based on what i read today, if you use a single color/white LED, it doesnt look like you can use a Pico and have a regular white FoC because it does color mixing based on the color profiles installed. So, that means ill have to use the NBv4 i have here, but that also means i can find a Yoda startup sound now :)

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 pm

You know there is a great quote from Yoda you can nab: "Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is."

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:51 am

Keeping with my motto of "be the last to conform", i applied some more of that in this build. I love being able to come up with new ways of doing something, especially when the norm is so, well, completely blase when it comes to innovation.

Latest pile of progress

Carbon fiber Kydex plate to mount the Pico to

With the hilt being so short and since the pommel is very short (the smallest one in the MHS line), the recharge port had to be modded to save some space, because even with the Pico being so small, space is at a premium

The speaker is solid, and i need to pass 3 wires through it somehow, but i cant drill a hole through the speaker, so i drilled one in the chassis piece just large enough to get the 3 wires to pass around the speaker and through for the recharge port

The speaker sits pretty far back and quite comfortably

Another look at the whole shabang...

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:28 am

Wired up the LED and tested it in the holder

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Got the major chunk of wiring done tonight, now im letting the battery charge. It did fire up, but posted a LOT of random swing sounds, and its been charging for about 2 hours and is still going, so im sure the battery was quite low.

Recharge port and speaker wired and they dont touch :)

I was going to use the strips of heat shrink to secure the wires a little, but since im still in the assembly phase, they just got in the way.

Had some spare photon blade and decided since this is a green build, why not use some of it

Started wiring some connectors up, they are needed because its physically impossible to connect it all outside of the tube and then stuff it in there the right way

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Had to do some tweaking and then once i got it all fired up, the Pico kept having phantom swing events with nothing touching it or vibrating it. Since it needs R.I.C.E. to configure, i just went ahead and used a Nano instead. Even with the miniscule extra length, it fits perfectly, only a couple more things to do and this one is done!

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Was hoping to get this buttoned up today, but during assembly i snipped a wire and gotta take it all back apart. Happens to the best of us i guess! :?