ScrapFlex *Completed*

Post your ongoing mods and pics here.
Tsi Talon
Site Admin

ScrapFlex *Completed*

Post by Tsi Talon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:09 am

Its from scrap and its got Graflex parts. Sort of. Man, you all are gonna think my only customer is Jeff! Turns out he just likes sabers and likes my work and is happy to have someone local he can boss around like a bitch lol.

Pic dump!

Pile o junk

Yes, we cut up a perfectly good Graflex for this clamp and some other parts

like this piece

Not this piece

But this piece

Red single LED with lens

Plumbs! I mean plumbing parts, or something

Tube or not tube

"Spilled my guts out on the radio.." er i mean FX sound card thatll be used

Mormegil

Re: ScrapFlex

Post by Mormegil » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:31 pm

I think I should, for the record, point out that it was assembled when you received it. Now get to work! :lol:

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:31 pm
I think I should, for the record, point out that it was assembled when you received it. Now get to work! :lol:
I need to install a tongue sticking out smilie...

Carrionlord

Post by Carrionlord » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:19 am

I’m going to have to start cracking that whip soon. Lol

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Carrionlord wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:19 am
I’m going to have to start cracking that whip soon. Lol
Make sure its a right handed whip...

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Never having done a scrap build, im not used to being "sloppy" so that it fits the moniker 'scrapflex', so i had to start thinking not like myself in order to come up with a couple ideas.

So, i found some scrap and made a plan! Vacuum molded plastic makes a very sturdy material to use in many craft type scenarios. So, i found some i had laying around and cut a couple strips that could be placed into the tube pieces and used to shim the difference between the outer and inner tubes. Works perfect...

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Following the theme, ive decided that aside from the one hole i had to drill with the press, i will only use hand tools.

The larger hole is the one drilled with the press

So that the switch wires will go through

Emitter

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:15 pm

Keeping with the scrap part of this build, i found some laying around that will serve a new purpose. Jeff wanted to use the internal from a Black Series FX, but the battery box/speaker assembly wont fit. Well, it will, but it would be destroyed if you wanted to change the batteries, so i had to think about what i could use to mimic it but make it smaller.

So, in come the parts. A AAA battery pack from a mini flashlight, an old pill bottle, a speaker and some wire

The original battery/speaker module

Speaker fits with a little trimming

Press fits into the base tube

End piece

Pommel cap

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Yah that is cool.

We likes it!

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:38 pm

Got some progress on the SF build. NO, dammit, NOT Saber Forgery!!! When im done, this will be tons better than anything they can put out, and its made from scrap!!

Work continues on making the battery/speaker pack smaller...

More pill bottle action, decided to leave the locking nubs on so that it sits even in the tube since the pill bottle is flared a bit from bottom to top. A piece of blade tubing is used to make the wall of the pill bottle smaller and also to shield the speaker wires from the battery pack when Jeff needs to swap batteries out. There is still the possibility of using rechargeable batteries, maybe in the future

Battery pack with soldered leads, some foam tape to make it fatter and a bit of heat shrink to keep the wires together

It slides into the blade tube nicely, just snug enough to not flop around, but not hard enough Jeff cant remove it. The whole assembly then slides into the hilt and the whole end can come off to swap the batteries out, since it wont come out if he unscrews the pommel cap itself

Header pins on the speaker and battery pack, i left the leads on the battery pack longer, so it can be removed without harming the speaker wires

Pics of the original in case anyone wondered whats on the inside of these packs... Yes, i have to use that little circuit board as it somehow ties the battery negative and speaker negatives together, but makes it all work and theres a small capacitor thats also apart of the circuit, you can just see the legs hanging off into the chassis part opposite the red wire