Heiland Redux/Fix

Post your ongoing mods and pics here.
Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Heiland Redux/Fix

Post by Tsi Talon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Well, because of Jeff's obsession with vintage flash stuff, he scored this genuine Heiland extension piece and wanted to see what the Heiland 'Shoto' looked like with the extra length (cue the "thats what she said" jokes) and when he unscrewed it, my obsession with exact tolerances took a toll on the kill switch. He takes the blame for breaking it, it was not faulty workmanship. The extension simply gripped the end cap with the switch a little tighter than he thought it would and it pulled the end cap off severing the wires.

Of course, as with any build or fix, i cant leave well enough alone and Jeff agreed that some upgrades were due. I didnt want to be shackled with using someone elses parts this time around, so a new chassis will be implemented along with a shift in placement for the charging port to the pommel end. A hard wired battery and larger speaker are on the list as well.

The extension piece

The aftermath

The new speaker

In relation to the Veco "premium" speaker

The cone area is the same size as the frame on the Veco

REAL carbon fiber tube for the chassis! No carbon fiber looking Kydex here :) Honestly, im not looking forward to working with it as it creates a LOT of dust, but the end result will be amazing :)

Also, since the weather NEVER cooperated to do a reveal shoot and video, i figured it was time to reveal a couple things that were kept semi secret.

The switch.

The clamp was so big that it begged to be used as a switch box and there was ample room inside to accomplish this. These were the only permanent modifications to the vintage tube, a slot wide and long enough to allow a 2 conductor header pin connection and the filing of the black part to create a 'ramp' to allow the card to move just enough to move the switch.

The slot in the clamp base, corresponding slot in the tube below.

Plugged in.

Screwed down. A small drop of hot glue was used to create a dot just tall enough to make constant contact with the piece of laptop PCB that was cut to the exact size needed to slide into the clamp slot. A hole was drilled and tapped for a set screw that will create just enough force to keep the card in the slot. The stock clamp thumb screw hits the set screw to lock it in place. To reveal the clamps main screw, you push the card forward and insert it from the front to cover it up.

Pressing on the large IC on the front edge activates the momentary switch.

Since the pics in the actual worklog showed the 3mm LED's, some people may have guessed that they were some kind of accent LED's, but we kept the details quiet. There is a switch that controls the action of the accent LED's, the whites are FoC only and the switch will flip the blues from 'always on' to 'FoC' as well.

Mormegil

Re: Heiland Redux/Fix

Post by Mormegil » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Of course I take the blame. Who would have thought adding a Heiland piece to a Heiland build would result in anything bad? Ooops!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :lol:

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:53 am

Total tear down this evening, this the aftermath. All but the black cylinder will be reused.

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:30 pm

I decided to see if the band saw blade could be salvaged so i could cut the CF tube and i was, so i did.

Since the battery is much smaller than the CF tube, i cut a piece of blade tube to hold it and ill come up with a solution for the NBv4 later one, probably a piece of CF Kydex or something similar. Since im redoing the chassis, i decided to put the recharge port in the tail end with the kill switch to make it a bit easier to charge since this is Jeff's current favorite. Since the 33mm speaker will be going in, the tail piece has to be a bit elaborate for that to happen, but itll happen :) Ive got a busy weekend coming up, so ill try to do as much as i can in between :)

Tsi Talon
Site Admin

Post by Tsi Talon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:44 pm

I thought id be able to knock a decent chunk of Delrin out of the rod, but alas one of my outer jaws up and went missing again, so i cant chuck it up in the lathe. Crap. Oh well, some progress is still progress, right?

A little chassis work got done, the flat plate will mount the NBv4 and currently holds the FoC switch

Fits snug in its little bed of CF

This is what has to fit on the end, the Delrin will fit over the CF and hold the LED holder and accent LED's

The power switch slot will be on the opposite side

Will update more once i get another chuck in the mail, going with a 5" so i dont have to keep swapping inside and outside jaws in and out and will have up to 4" capacity :)